Thursday, February 11, 2016

John Pennekamp to Marathon

We started our day at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo. (Janet and Shawn should remember this place from 7 years ago). We did the 2 hour glass bottom boat tour. It was windy and very cold! But nobody got seasick (thanks to dramamine). It was a nice day for a boat ride but I was not impressed with the reef, through the  bottom of the boat. The park has all kinds of watercraft for rent, to go paddle around in the cypress knees. Late light lunch at a Waffle House (!) Good to see that southeastern US icon is alive and well!

Then we wended our way down Rt 1 about 50 miles to Marathon. We stopped at this really crazy art/craft/clothing/junk "mall" called The Rain Barrel. Awesome weird stuff, including a giant lobster. Route 1 is the only road all the way to Key West and only two lane at that. Traffic is heavy!! And we're here in the off-season.

Our motel is the Kingsail Resort, a funky little place that is showing its age. But we had stayed here 7 years ago and recall it was fine - and it is! Besides, its the cheapest place between Key Largo and Key West.

Excellent seafood dinner at Lazydays, including a spectacular sunset right from our table!

Tomorrow we'll just hang around Marathon - there are a few things to do around here. Hopefully, it will get a bit warmer!)

(Sorry the pictures are not in the right order. I don't have the patience to fix it! Also, to day I wore my Boise State Bronco T-shirt. Normally, my message T-shirts don't elicit a response, but I  must have had 15 encounters today where I had to explain that it was NOT the Denver Broncos!)










At full throttle, this puppy will do 20 knots!











No comments:

Post a Comment